26 July 2012

Vintage lampshade repairs

After weeks of letter box checking, waiting, some more letter box checking, more waiting, I finally received my Canon close up 250D lens in the post last week and have been madly putting it to the test. It has taken a little getting used to, but from what I have seen so far it makes macro shooting much cleaner and more enjoyable. I thought I'd try it out on my latest project - reworking a vintage lampshade. I found this shade at the local markets - I loved the shape and brass bulb fitting, but it was looking a little tired and worn out, with a few holes in the netting and splintered weaving. It didn't need too much work, so I bought it anyway (for a whopping 10 euro) and used left over lace from my wedding dress to set about fixing it up. I kept it simple with minimal lace and wove plenty of twine around the frame. Here are a few pictures of the frame during the weave and the finished, hanging product. It looks magnificent when lit up and the light bounces off the netting & through the lace. Bisous x

left over wedding dress lace & broderie anglaise
close up of weaving twine around the splintered frame - courtesy of my new macro lens
a small piece of crochet to hide a gaping hole
macro shot of the fantastic brass bulb fitting
hanging in the berdroom
the finished product

3 comments:

  1. Hi there - my name's Laura and I'm a friend of Dani Ward (nee Spicia), we used to dance together. She pointed me to your blog cos she thought it was right up my alley - boy, was she right!

    I'm so loving reading your posts and I'm trying to have them come straight to my inbox. Do you have a subscribe function?

    The vintage lamp above is to die for! I'm so jealous of your regular flea market shopping trips! Am about to buy a 1950s apartment and am soooo excited about making it my own - you're providing great inspiration!

    Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and let you know how splendid I think your blog is, it takes me away...

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, I'm so pleased you're enjoying the blog and that it provides some inspiration for your exciting new project. Styling a 50s apartment will be so much fun, lucky you! Keep on creating :) xx

      Delete
  2. If you would like to follow my posts more easily, you can do so by clicking on the bloglovin button (right hand side of the posts), where you can setup automatic email updates. Hope that helps! Love, J x

    ReplyDelete